Gift cards may be redeemed in-store or online!
What will I receive when I purchase a gift card online?
You will receive a digital gift card via email containing a 16 digit code. Simply forward that email to the recipient. The code can be used to make a purchase online, or printed and used in the store.
You will not automatically receive a physical gift card. If you would like a physical gift card, please read on for more details.
I'd like to send a physical gift card to someone. How do I do that?
We'd be happy to mail a paper gift card directly to the recipient!
After you have purchased a gift card online, simply forward the email to email@example.com and include the following information:
- The full mailing address of the recipient.
- The name of the recipient, as you want it to appear on the gift card.
- Your name as you want it to appear on the gift card.
- (Optional) Your choice of envelope colour: Black, Red, Purple, Light Green or Sky Blue. If you do not specify a colour, we'll chose one for you.
- (Optional) Which of our quotes you would like to appear on the gift card (see below), or a custom greeting message of a few lines that we will write by hand. If you do not specify a quote, we'll chose one for you.
Of course you may also come in to the store and purchase a paper gift card at the counter and we will prepare it for you on the spot!
What quotations for paper gift cards do you have to choose from?
- "Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are." - Mason Cooley
- "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set I go into the other room and read a book." - Groucho Marx
- "From that time on, the world was hers for the reading." - Betty Smith
- "Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
For gift cards purchased online, we will alternatively write a custom message by hand at your request. Nothing too long or too rude, please. See the previous question for details.
How do I use a gift card online?
When you are checking out, you will see a box labelled "Gift card or discount code." Simply enter the 16 digit gift card code into that box and hit Apply. If you do not use the full balance, it will remain on the gift card and you can use it next time.
I have a paper gift card that does not have a 16 digit code. Can I use it online?
To redeem an older paper gift card online, either:
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a picture of the inside of the gift card, showing the 4 digit GC number and signature. We will then issue you a replacement gift card with a 16 digit code that can be used online or in-store.
- Come visit us and we will issue you a replacement in-store while you wait.
Older gift cards can still be used in-store, but they need to be updated for use with our new system.
Can I purchase multiple gift cards?
Yes! Start by selecting a denomination and click Add to Cart. Then click View Cart and change the quantity to the desired number. If you want to buy multiple gift cards in different amounts, simply go back and add the other denomination to your cart and repeat the process.
Can I get a gift card for an amount other than $10, $25, $50 or $100?
We can issue a gift card for any amount in the store, but those are the only denominations available online.
Do gift cards expire?
No, gift cards do not expire.